Friday, September 8

We Made It!

We're here, safe and sound. I know it's been a while since our last post, so we apologize for all seven of you reading.

The first week and a half has been full of ups and downs, loneliness and meeting new people, phone calls home and dinner at parishoners' houses, a sense of God's peace and waves of overwhelming AAHH! The area is gorgeous with bluffs and trees everywhere. Devil's Lake State Park is amazing even though we were only there for 10 minutes. The Wisconsin Dells offer lots of water parks and shopping (Labor Day weekend=headache!). Just so you don't think we've been relaxing the whole time, read on.

I've been adjusting to life as "Pastor Josh." It's weird to hear that title. God has been here from day one, and I know He has because of, well, everything. He was with me on Sunday when I was sick. He helped me preach a message on trust. On Wednesday he was there at the Bible study (we're going through Matthew). A woman from the church came and was honest about struggles she'd been having. We were able to encourage her. And we've started to meet kids around our neighborhood, four of whom came to church last Sunday. One man owns a Christian bookstore in town and serves as a lay minister at the Presbyterian Church. He was there Sunday to encourage me and has sent people my way who are looking for a church home. And so in all this and more, I've seen God at work. He took me away from everything I know and trust so I could know and trust Him more. I couldn't ask for a better first week and a half.

On the other hand, I've learned some startling things about ministry at a dying/refocusing
church.

1. Everyone expects you to change things immediately. They expect to restart the Wed. morning Bible study (which we did), begin an evening service, start a ministry to people with addictions, and they want it done now. It's enough just to begin learning new names, procedures, streets, and prep for Sunday so far. Whew!

2. You get compared to the last pastor all the time. "Pastor did this and he was so sweet. I'm glad you're better than him at or maybe you should try this..." Talk about being in the spotlight. Everything you do needs commentary. And,

3. People talk about each other to you. I can't begin to count the number of times I've heard one church member give me a record of someone else's attendance or lack thereof, someone's beliefs, bad habits, sins, etc. It's crazy. Jamie and I are having "Meet the Pastor" times where we go to their houses for a few hours and talk. The majority of what we hear is about other people in the church. Even if it's not bad stuff, it still is frustrating to listen to.

Don't get me wrong...our church is a wonderful, caring church. Everyone genuinely loves each other. It's just a new way of life to adjust to. They are all past retirement and have known each other for decades. Perhaps they just feel like the new pastor needs to know everything all at once. I guess I'm just going through culture shock.

Jamie has had a good time unpacking and decorating the house. She will begin leading worship this Sunday (her birthday!). And she's going to start taking piano lessons from a worship leader in town. We're going to a pastor's house in Madison tonight for dinner and a scrapbooking party. I think I'll sit the party out and hang out with the pastor.

Hopefully Jamie will get to update the blog soon too. We'd love to get a post from you. Off to Madison,

Josh