Thursday, October 12

Messed Up Weather

Guess what happened yesterday and today? SNOW. It's invading already, and some trees still haven't changed colors yet. And you all thought Indiana weather was messed up. It's been great to see all the leaves change colors, especially near our state park.

But snow in October? Snow means warming our car up, scraping ice and shoveling snow, being scared about how many people in my congregation will slip and fall and break something. It also means Christmas is coming. I think I'll be excited for Christmas when it gets here, but now I'm worried. People expect big Christmas services, and at this point, we can't really offer much. I'm scared guests will walk into our church Christmas Eve and walk right back out. I'm scared that by Christmas people will be leaving the church in the midst of changes. Maybe I'm too pessimistic.

God, remind me and anyone else who needs it that You send the snow, and that Your presence as Immanuel is much more important than any Christmas service. Thank you.

3 comments:

emmausroadtraveler said...

Josh, long time ago when I was in eighth grade, when we could still share the real meaning of Christmas, my English class put on a play. I can't remember the story line, but I will never forget this line from the story, "The true gift of Christmas is to know what is true, God's only Son Jesus was a poor kid too." Christmas is about a baby born to peasant parents, in a rude stable greeted by lowly shepherds. Christmas at Parkway will be wonderful because it can be so much like the original Christmas....a simple story shared in a simple way about God's amazing love for God's children. I am looking forward to spending Christmas at Parkway this year. Tom

Anonymous said...

Josh,
When I see snow, I think of God's cleansing of our sins and how He makes us whiter than snow. Each flake is a gentle caress of His love. Don't fret the future....God will be there when you get there too. Just enjoy today and keep taking those baby steps He calls you to take as you learn to follow His leading at Parkway!
Love ya' lots,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say "hi" and that we're praying for you guys! :)
-Matt and Laura