Monday, May 14

Wistful Thinking

A few weeks ago Amy posted about her unsuccessful haircut experiences. I understand. I've had several bad cuts in my life. In kindergarten my mom decided to save money and cut it herself . . . and I ended up looking like a hick-child with a mullet. She took me to the hair stylist after school pictures were taken . . . so I have a great photo to remind me not to be as frugal with my kids. The next very bad haircut (I've had many more than this, but these are definitely the worst) happened the day before my senior pictures . . . I left the salon with feathered chunky hair and now have senior pictures that I'd prefer no one see.

I've been craving a haircut for several weeks now. It's been a good two months since my last one, and my hair has been driving me crazy. For the last year, I've been growing it out long...but recently, I got the urge to cut it short again . . . and so I've been looking forward to this salon visit. When I arrived, it was lunch time. That should have been a clue that I was in trouble. There was only one stylist there, and she sounded tired, like she just needed a long lunch break away from scissors and customers. I'd decided to go to a new salon, the one in Wal-Mart (that should have been my next clue that something might be wrong), so that Josh could also get the oil changed in our car at the same time. He dropped me off; I walked in, picked up a magazine and read an article about getting the right cut and style from your salon. Perfect timing, I thought. Apparently the key is in the initial communication between you and the stylist, before she takes the scissors in her hands. The article told me a picture would help the stylist better understand my needs . . . and lucky for me--I'd brought a picture--four, in fact, showing exactly the style I wanted (one I'd had back in the summer of 2005)...the short, layered, flippy kind . . . a little longer in back, with long side bangs that frame my face . . . something my brother would be proud of and compliment me on. I'd even made sure that Josh still liked that hairstyle before leaving home today.

I shouldn't have bothered. The stylist took a look at the cut in the picture, told me her version of it ("one chop at the chin and another at the ears"), and started whacking. I've never had such a fast cut. She asked me about the bangs . . . I told her that I get annoyed when my bangs brush my nose . . . and so she whacked some more until I had a straight line of bangs above my eyebrows . . . the cut ended within 5 minutes . . . she blew it dry, and when I looked in the mirror for the final once-over, I saw a combination of poof and short mullet . . . a triple combination of June Cleaver, Lucille Ball and Betty Rubble staring back at me. My new hairstyle makes me look like I'm in my forties or fifties. (The goal was summer-flippy-fun-young cut, not this!).

Josh didn't comment too much in the salon except to say, "I have to get used to it." Later, in Subway, the truth came out (which I completely agree with): "You look like you're from another decade." Thanks, Honey. He has been really great . . . tonight he sat down with all of my styling gels, sprays and mousses, my hairdryer, curling irons and straightener to try and create a style that would put me back into this century . . . his attempts were valiant, but I don't think he's going to want to do my hair every morning. He did say he'd still walk with me in public, and he offered me his baseball cap to wear for the next few months. I'm so grateful!

I guess I thought that as I age, bad haircuts would become a distant memory. Now, I only wish I could explain to anyone I pass that my hair isn't supposed to be this way...and even though it will grow out, I still have to live with it for the next few weeks until that happens. Needless to say, I miss Kathleen, our stylist in Marion, and it's time to find a new salon up here. (I've added these classy cuts to the blog to give you some uplifting humor . . . definitely at my expense . . . #1: Kindergarten frugal cut #2: Senior Pic #3: Two weeks ago #4: Tonight, after some major depoofing by my husband. . . hopefully I'll be able to laugh about this most recent cut in a few days!)

9 comments:

Amy said...

oh Jamie...that first picture made me laugh because I had the SAME mullet from first grade until fifth grade! worse, I even PERMED parts of it off and on during those years!!

bad haircuts when you're in your twenties are even worse. I hope you figure out a way to live with it :/ maybe a different stylist could do some damage control--at least show you how to style it in a way that you like better?

Amy said...

p.s. I so think we lived parallel lives...forgot to mention I also shared the nightmare hair experience before senior pictures! thankfully it was just a bad style, not a bad cut--went to the salon to have them hot-roll my hair the afternoon of my pictures (I could never get it to look as good with hot rollers as the lady there had for prom the year before). I walked out with hair THIS BIG...in tears. I barely had enough time to run home, wash my hair and blowdry it out straight again, then re-do my makeup and make it to the photo appointment.

I admire you for showing all the photographic evidence :) I'm learning that plenty of other people have the same kinds of embarrassing photos I do...I need to post some of my own soon!

nathan richardson said...

hmm.. all i have to say is buy some scarfs... poor jamie... ouch

Anonymous said...

Stupid Wal-Mart! Sounds like that lady needs to be fired! I can't believe she came up with that cut from the pictures you showed her and the description you told us! I agree with Amy - shorter might be better in this case...find a different stylist and ask her to do some "damage control." However...I think the expression in the last picture makes it priceless...haha...remember, a smile goes a LONG way:) I absolutely hate paying for haircuts because I always end up not liking what they do. So, now Craig cuts my hair, and about 80% of the time, I'm happy with it. Plus, he can fix parts that I don't like the next day. Josh is such a good guy! What other guy would work with all the "girly stuff" to help his wife? So cute:) Love ya!
Renee

Stephen and Michelle said...

Ouch is right...how frustrating!!!! I can definitely relate to bad haircuts...I had a few shed tears growing up...it didn't help that I had a lot of bad face days too...those are a little harder to live with ;)

Todd, Carolyn, Gavin, Tarylor, and Kennedy Bishop said...

Jamie, this is Carolyn (townhouse -senior year at IWU). I have been on blogger and searched for familiar faces. I clicked on your link from Michelle's and oufnd you:):):)
I will never forget you girls that helped me get through the most challenging year ever. I have found Rebekah, but no-one else. I know all this sounds crazy, but you girls meant so much to me that year that I just have never forgotten it. I was truly blessed to be placed in that TH with such wonderful girls!
Check out our blog sometime--so you can see Gavin--he is four already! man--time flies!:)
ps Everybody can relate to bad harcuts. My worst was at JC penny in Marion in my college yrs. :) It grows out though. :)
Hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Jamie! Finding a new, competent stylist is definitely one of the top five most difficult things about moving. It's right up there with friends, a church (not in your case) and a trustworthy mechanic. I had three mullet cuts in a row when we first moved out here and I could not for the life of me figure out why everyone kept cutting it that way when I explained I was trying to grow it out. By "it" I meant all of it, not just the back. Guess I should have been more clear. I am in favor of the damage control suggestion...I've had to go for the "help" haircut many times as well. Just remember, Jamie--you are so beautiful anyway that you could be bald and it wouldn't matter. :)

Unknown said...

That second one looks like a Boyer senior picture, no? Was your Marion stylist Kathleen Lawson?

Unknown said...

Ah, now I see the key at the bottom of the post.